LSU celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

Hillary Currier

Balloons and a banner greet students as the enter the school on the morning of Sept. 15. LSU members senior Lio Gonzalez and junior Kamila Villanueva along with others decorated the halls to raise awareness for the monthlong celebration.

Hispanic Heritage Month runs for a month, from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15. The reason it begins on Sept. 15 is because it is the anniversary of independence from Spain within many Central American countries like Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. 

Hispanic Heritage Month was started in 1968 under President Lyndon Johnson but only covered a few days. In 1988 it was expanded to take up a full month by President Ronald Regan, who also made Hispanic Heritage Month a law. It incorporates the Caribbean, Spanish, Mexican, and Central and South American cultures.

Sophomore Rene Ramirez helps hang balloons by the school’s main entrance. “I had a lot of fun decorating, it is a close community and we’re all friends,” Ramirez said. LSU wanted to do more this year after the pandemic made planning difficult. “It’s been really cool getting to decorate the school as well as share our culture with everyone,” Ramirez said. (Hillary Currier)

The Latinx Student Union (LSU) at Central Catholic was able to provide some

celebrations for this month. Sophomore LSU member Cesar Ruiz was able to provide some insight into what events LSU have planned to honor Hispanic Heritage Month.

“We have had meetings about our past to remember what we have gone through,” Ruiz said. “We had a special presentation at the first Back To School assembly.” 

This presentation was done by Maia Cruz, who performed a traditional dance. 

“We also have decorated a few classrooms and some areas in the halls,” Ruiz said. According to Ruiz, the celebration from the 2021-2022 school year was “not a significant one.” It had no large representation with no decoration, commemoration, or presentation. Ruiz explained that there should have been more, but due to disorganization, there was not much at all.

This year has been a big change compared to last year, and the amount of Hispanic

Heritage Month representation has increased dramatically. When asked what Hispanic Heritage Month means to Ruiz personally, he said, “It is a good reflection on culture.”

“We have had to overcome so much, so to see that struggle represented is great,” Ruiz said.

The increased amount of celebration within LSU has been evident in the halls with balloons and banners throughout the month.